Guide Season 2009 Ending-

The 2009 Guide season came to a screaching halt this week as October ushered in some significantly cooler weather with wind and snow covering the region for several days. Up until now we had nearly 8-10 boats daily heading out for folks to try their luck on our wily fall cutthroats and now with the weather change only 1-2 are brave enough to go for it... this is tough on guides' late season income but the flip side is that we finally get a chance to head out and play on some of the rivers we know so well. Guide friends Ben Brennan & Mark Fuller teamed up with Louie and I as we saw the weather break and headed to the lower South Fork on 10/7. Conditions were pleasant and much warmer than Jackson Hole, therefore our streamer fishing suffered somewhat( it was still good just no jumbo trout) but near noon a wonderful BWO hatch brought out the cutthroats & browns in big numbers but substantial size was not found(best fish nearing 18")... hey, I loved it; I drank beer and caught beautiful trout on dries all afternoon... I have to practice what I preach(read my entry from August 12th)!
This week many of the local river flows are dropping to winter levels so when the seasonal weather returns there should be some excellent fishing to be had in the afternoons. I have several fun trips planned throughout the fall so I will post updates as the stories come in.
Had a fun day with my father-in-law, Bob Allen from Spartanburg, SC last week on the upper Snake as we found fantastic morning dry fly action and then later pulled this real nice "river Mac" from the depths... this fish is the largest I've seen in the net on the Snake... it measured nearly 29" and was 8lbs according to the weigh net.

Comments

Popular Posts