Fly Fishing Report- 8/5/2011

Just finished up a fine 9 days in a row to officially announce our summer dry fly season has kicked in, finally! Up until the past week or so we have had spotty at best dry fly fishing which normally by now is in full swing and often slows from low, warmer flows. Some of the season's best hatches are happening and will soon cross over to terrestrial insects and while flows remain slightly higher than normal the trout are remaining mostly untouched... yes, you still have to work for them! I have had a string of great clients in town and each day I feel the urge to show them the best fly fishing experience possible and this year Western Wyoming has kept us busy. The Green and its tribs have been fantastic for 2-3 weeks now and this year was the best grey drake hatch I can recall.
Bob King and I appreciating the cloud cover... twitch, twitch!
Matt Lenzen in Wyoming, enjoying every second!(do the dew!)
After a round of storms brought mind boggling action with large dry flies the trout got a little more lock jawed so I began to investigate Eastern Idaho and the South Fork of the Snake River. The reports were not good but I had to find out for myself, low and behold I had very good streamer action followed by exceptional dry fly fishing in very small isolated spots. A research day turned into 3 consecutive outings with similar success... no bad report from me. Truth is everything is now fishing just fine and each day should be received for what it has to offer.
The Snake River in Jackson is flowing mostly clear with 3'+ of visibility but the flows remain a little high... 5400cfs @ Moose. As these flows drop the action should pick up and all anglers will be looking for a spot on the river between Pacific Creek & Palisades, nearly 80 miles of prime cutthroat habitat.
Bill Lenzen & I checking in on some local rainbows!

Comments

  1. Thanks for another Great trip!! Each and every year it just seems to get better than the year prior. Been fishing with you for many years now and again I couldn't ask for a better guide--don't know if you are getting better as a guide or I am getting better at flyfishing!! Tight lines always, Bob King

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts